Due to concerns by CSA officials about the safety of cyclists riding the new Buffalo Bay section of the route, we have officially changed the 104 km route to a new 116 km route.
The new route is very similar to the route of the last eight years. Cyclists leave Knysna and ride on the N2 west through Sedgefield and then continue on the N2 until they reach Kleinkranz where they will do a 180 degree turn and ride back through Sedgefield along the N2.
From there they will proceed to the Barrington/ Karatara turn off to ascend to Barrington. At Barrington the route turns left onto the Seven Passes Road to Karatara. This is the 2.1 km gravel section of the route.
From Karatara it’s downhill to the Groenvlei intersection on the N2 and then back to Knysna.
116 km route overview:
- Start in Waterfront Drive, Knysna and ride along the Knysna Lagoon road towards George on the N2
- Climb Keytersnek (150 m assent) and proceed to Sedgefield along the rolling hills of this N2 section
- Continue to Kleinkranz and do a 180 degree turn back to Sedgefield
- Turn left off the N2 at the Karatara turnoff and climb the road to Barrington. This is the climb of the ride through farmland and indigenous bush! Hopefully your attention will be distracted by the scenic mountain views
- At the Barrington T-junction, turn left onto the Seven Passes Road. Cyclists will ride approx. 2,1 km of good gravel road through the forest and across the bridge over the Knysna River
- Turn left at the Karatara turnoff and cycle back down to the N2 through picturesque farmland with stunning mountain views
- Turn left to Knysna onto the N2 at Groenvlei and ride back towards Knysna. You will encounter the mini Keytersnek 3 km climb before the final climb of the ride
- Climb Keytersnek (heartbreak hill 150 m assent), a final 2 km climb
- Cruise east along the beautiful Knysna Lagoon road to the Finish in Waterfront Drive
- Total distance +- 116 km